Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My Sweet Babe Got Sick.

And I don't know how to fix her. She started making a weird noise/vibration while slowing down the other day when Laci and I were out getting lost on some country roads. At first it kinda felt like it was time for some new brake pads, but eventually it felt and sounded like her primary chain had come unadjusted during deceleration. I pulled over to inspect, and it was perfectly in line. It definitely sounded like it was coming from the primary, so I got somewhere safe and took the cover off. Perfect and clean as a whistle inside. Main shaft bearing? Fuck, rod bearings? I don't know and feel terrible. My sweety is sick and I don't know how to make her better.




6 comments:

  1. im not the best at diagnosing over a computer, but cant help but have your description remind me of asian dan here in denver and his sportster chop. i believe his was a transmission issue. but sounded like primary chain. ended up being the main shaft. sorry i dont have more info, but maybe it could help put you in the right direction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check the "compensator" nut on the front sprocket in the Primary. Mine was so loose I could finger loosen it. Made weird noises on decel. Check factory torque specs, I think its like 150 flbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, check what "Anonymous" said, can't hurt. Mine had somehow loosened up before causing a lot of noise coming out of the primary cover. Also, probably not the problem, but check and make sure your front drive sprocket hadn't loosened up. Mine has done that shit too, and caused noise and vibration on deceleration. Just easy shit to check first. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an xl front drive sprocket (actually pulley) loosen enough to strip the teeth out. There was no warning other than making a grinding sound when I pushed it around the shop. Too lazy to check it out, ended up pushing it home.

    ReplyDelete